Skip to main content

All I Want for Christmas is Good Posture: a Quiz

The first step to fixing anything is knowing exactly what needs fixing.

Like posture. Understanding good posture means understanding bad posture.

So, in the spirit of that, (as well as kitsching up your holidays!), my gift to you is a quiz! Can you spy the most obvious elements of bad posture in the following fab photos?

Your prize for getting them all right is certainly a step towards better health. Not to mention a tinsely sense of superiority.

#1.



#2



#3


#4


#5



#6



#7



#8


#9



#10





1. This exaggerated kyphosis probably isn't her everyday posture but more of a body language message of "Ho Ho hooold me, Santa!"

2. Is it me or is the standing child's R knee hyperextension not the only sadly haunting thing about this photo?

3. It's a red velour shout out to shoulder asymmetry. Also, L leg and foot stuff but look at that little rocking chair back there!

4. Shoulder elevaaaaaaation.

5. Where to start, besides a shirt? R leg externally rotated (and unweighted) is the most obvious but I think there’s a lot of rotation going on here-R pelvis is back. And clear rib thrust, but then, knotty pine brings it out in people.

6. Just a general collapse and slight fitigue posture, but a lot of us lost our will to fire core stabilizers in the ‘70s.

7. I love everything in this room except the posture: Rolled shoulders, R is lower. And the legs, well, take your pick on rotation—internal, external, it’s all going on.

8 The middle child has a great future in rhythmic gymnastics ahead of her with that knee hyperextension!

9. Kyphosis, cheers!

10. Was the photographer leaning or is the R side about to float off? This photo makes me both happy and sad at the same time. But perhaps it's a perfectly timed reminder to us all: decorate (and dress!) joyously and relax those upper traps!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Recess (A Diet Change Rebrand)

The beginning of the year, my husband and I do a "fast." For six weeks we take things out of our diet. Sugar and alcohol are always included and sometimes other things. The first year we did this, we were insanely ambitious: sugar, alcohol, dairy, most meat, all wheat, in fact anything that rhymed with "eat", particularly if it was brown, looked like the moon, or had been blanched. That's my memory at any rate, and no, it did not go well. (Lotsa cheats.) Subsequently, we've been more modest. And generally it has gone better. (I won't lie. There are still cheats.) At the end of this detox, sure, you go back to a retox. But each year (Is it ten years we've done it now?), you go back less. Your tastebuds actually change. You get more sensitive to sugar and stop wanting it so much. You start truly liking and desiring the things that are good for you. It's incredibly valuable. But it is a negation. We take things away. It's hard not to feel

Posture assessment: Barbie

I love Barbie dolls. But what have they done for me lately? Uh, help me work on my posture assessment skills? Fun! Now, don't get me wrong, I like this a lot: Artist Nickolay Lamm re-created a Barbie doll to reflect more realistic proportions. In fact, he made the doll using average measurements for a healthy 19-year-old. Sigh. Yes, a 19-year-old who likes her cell phone and computer. How do I know? Well, she's 19. Duh. And also, her posture. There are some clear signs, so let's take a look! (Why is posture assessment so hard on humans and so easy on these two? Maybe it's that they seem so downright proud of their snazzy swimsuits and shiny hair. I'd say they're completely unaware I might suggest they give up the "Big Boob" thrust and the high heels. I guess they won't be so happy post-posture assessment.) Let's start with original Barbie. It's a little hard to tell with her hair, but I don't think she has forward head (a least not

Welcome to fitness

As a very small woman, I've never found a bicycle that really fit me. So, several years ago, my husband and I decided to buy custom-built bikes. When the beautiful little bike came, it felt amazing, as though I'd never ridden a bicycle before. But it was also difficult adjusting to a completely new way of riding. After a time, I got extremely frustrated. The manager of the bike shop coached me, pep-talked me, got me through. "Think of yourself as an athlete," he said. That threw me. Athlete? Athletic? Those aren't words I use to describe myself. Never have. Yes, I did gymnastics, cheerleading, and dance as a kid, but even at the height of that, I wouldn't have used the word "athletic" to describe myself. In fact, sort of the opposite. Several years later, here I am; I've just completed my aerobics instructor certification, and am starting my Pilates instructor training. I'm in better shape than I've been in...well, ever? I still wouldn