Skip to main content

Winter Recess (A Diet Change Rebrand)

The beginning of the year, my husband and I do a "fast." For six weeks we take things out of our diet. Sugar and alcohol are always included and sometimes other things.

The first year we did this, we were insanely ambitious: sugar, alcohol, dairy, most meat, all wheat, in fact anything that rhymed with "eat", particularly if it was brown, looked like the moon, or had been blanched. That's my memory at any rate, and no, it did not go well. (Lotsa cheats.)

Subsequently, we've been more modest. And generally it has gone better. (I won't lie. There are still cheats.)

At the end of this detox, sure, you go back to a retox. But each year (Is it ten years we've done it now?), you go back less. Your tastebuds actually change. You get more sensitive to sugar and stop wanting it so much. You start truly liking and desiring the things that are good for you.

It's incredibly valuable. But it is a negation. We take things away. It's hard not to feel that it's a denial. And from there, it's a short hop to feeling like it's a punishment.

So, this year, we're going to try to change that, starting with what we call it. I never liked calling it a fast, but we couldn't come up with a better word, so that just stuck.

We're also going to focus more on what we add than what we take away. Yes, we are still avoiding sugar and alcohol but we're going to frame it more as adding in delicious, healthy things. More vegetables. More whole grains. More energy. More joy. More fun.

It's a break from what we've been doing: it's a recess. I love that word because it takes me back to one of my favorite parts of school. We had a play ground with a giant old tree in the middle and loads of swings along one edge. I would go way, way up in those swings and when the bell rang, I would jump out. That brought about lots of scraped knees and ticked off teachers but sometimes you gotta fly a little.

I'm going to try to concoct, find, post as many food adventures as I can this month. Follow along and feel free to chime in.

Let's swing high, my friends! Lentils and kale and bone broth are actually amazing. You just need to see it from a different angle, with a light breeze and a little less G.

Comments

  1. I like your idea and you know I will be watching for good things to eat. hopefully simple things I can get

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The other head problem

Though not as common as Forward Head , let's talk about another postural deviation I'll call Chin Up Head. Here's a good example. By our cultural standards, she's gorgeous: that neck goes on for days! But in addition to her head being forward, her chin is lifted. End result: stunningly beautiful uh....compression of the neck vertebrae. The technical term is cervical extension and it usually isn't as extreme as the model above. Here are more subtle examples: It's a little hard to see but all these people have their heads lifted a few degrees off neutral. Held habitually for years, it can add up to neck problems or even chronic headaches. It can even affect your eyes. Chin Up Head is very frequently associated with Forward Head because of issues in the upper back and neck muscles. But there are two other important reasons people acquire this postural problem: Limitation in thoracic extension and overstretched tissue in the front of the neck. Huh? Limit...

Baked Rolled Rye and Oatmeal

I found this at the Polish Mexican grocery store near me: it's rolled rye flakes. How could I pass that up? But, uh, what to do with it? So, at the blog Flavor the Moments, I found a delicious recipe for baked oatmeal and I altered it a little: Apple Blackberry Baked Rye and Oats Ingredients: 1 cup old fashioned oats 1/2 cup rolled rye flakes 1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 2 1/4 cups milk 1 egg 1/3 cup pure maple syrup 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries 2 Pink Lady apples peeled and chopped 1/4-1/3 cup sliced almonds Instructions Set the oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8x8" glass baking dish. Scatter the apple chunks on the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside. In a small bowl, stir together oats, rye flakes and cinnamon. Pour half of the oat mixture over the apples, then layer with half the blackberries, the remaining oats, and then the remaining blackberries. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg, maple syrup, and v...