Skip to main content

Setting your health goals

Setting goals helps you prioritize what to work on and can help give you a sense of accomplishment at the end of the year. But setting goals is hard. The standard advice is to make them SMART: specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely.

In general I agree with this. (Though what's the difference between attainable and realistic? Just asking.)

I've been practicing goal setting for about five or six years now. And yes, I see it as a practice or skill. You're not that great at it the first couple of times, but you improve with repetition. You get better at figuring out what works for you — how many goals is realistic to shoot for in a year, how specific to be when you break down your big goals, how far in advance you can schedule little goals, what to do about changing your mind mid-year, etc, etc....

And, oh yea, the biggie: realizing that often what you want is intangible and hard to measure.

For example, "I want to be happier." A wise goal but not a SMART one.

You can break it down of course. What would make me happier? Going out dancing more often? So a measurable goal that helps me get to my immeasurable goal would be: Go out dancing once a month.

There are also things that technically could be measured but you don't have the expertise or tools to measure. For example: My shoulders are chronically rolled forward and I want to improve that. Now, I have no doubt that the degree of internal rotation and forward displacement of my humerus could be measured. But I can't do that. I can only look in the mirror or see pictures of myself and think, ugh, not the best posture.

What's the answer? Not sure. Maybe after another year of practice, I'll know. In the meantime, here's my list of health goals. Most are very posture-based, because I'm increasingly interested in that. And I plan on writing a blog post about each of these. (That's a SMART goal!)

1.Feet and Ankles
Regain/increase transverse arches
Increase ankle stability

2. Pelvis
Move head of femur back
Improve pelvic stability

3. Trunk
Get rid of tightness/knot in left thoracic
Move head of humerus back
Improve shoulder health

4. Face
Reduce jaw/ear tension
Reduce eye tension
Improve skin quality

5. Improve cardio health

6. Improve breathing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Recess (A Diet Change Rebrand)

The beginning of the year, my husband and I do a "fast." For six weeks we take things out of our diet. Sugar and alcohol are always included and sometimes other things. The first year we did this, we were insanely ambitious: sugar, alcohol, dairy, most meat, all wheat, in fact anything that rhymed with "eat", particularly if it was brown, looked like the moon, or had been blanched. That's my memory at any rate, and no, it did not go well. (Lotsa cheats.) Subsequently, we've been more modest. And generally it has gone better. (I won't lie. There are still cheats.) At the end of this detox, sure, you go back to a retox. But each year (Is it ten years we've done it now?), you go back less. Your tastebuds actually change. You get more sensitive to sugar and stop wanting it so much. You start truly liking and desiring the things that are good for you. It's incredibly valuable. But it is a negation. We take things away. It's hard not to feel ...

The other head problem

Though not as common as Forward Head , let's talk about another postural deviation I'll call Chin Up Head. Here's a good example. By our cultural standards, she's gorgeous: that neck goes on for days! But in addition to her head being forward, her chin is lifted. End result: stunningly beautiful uh....compression of the neck vertebrae. The technical term is cervical extension and it usually isn't as extreme as the model above. Here are more subtle examples: It's a little hard to see but all these people have their heads lifted a few degrees off neutral. Held habitually for years, it can add up to neck problems or even chronic headaches. It can even affect your eyes. Chin Up Head is very frequently associated with Forward Head because of issues in the upper back and neck muscles. But there are two other important reasons people acquire this postural problem: Limitation in thoracic extension and overstretched tissue in the front of the neck. Huh? Limit...

Baked Rolled Rye and Oatmeal

I found this at the Polish Mexican grocery store near me: it's rolled rye flakes. How could I pass that up? But, uh, what to do with it? So, at the blog Flavor the Moments, I found a delicious recipe for baked oatmeal and I altered it a little: Apple Blackberry Baked Rye and Oats Ingredients: 1 cup old fashioned oats 1/2 cup rolled rye flakes 1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 2 1/4 cups milk 1 egg 1/3 cup pure maple syrup 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries 2 Pink Lady apples peeled and chopped 1/4-1/3 cup sliced almonds Instructions Set the oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8x8" glass baking dish. Scatter the apple chunks on the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside. In a small bowl, stir together oats, rye flakes and cinnamon. Pour half of the oat mixture over the apples, then layer with half the blackberries, the remaining oats, and then the remaining blackberries. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg, maple syrup, and v...